OBA Oosterdok (central library)
The Amsterdam Public Library's central location
Oosterdokskade 143, 1011 DL Amsterdam
Postal address: Oosterdoksstraat 110, 1011 DK Amsterdam
Tel: 020 - 52 30 900
Fax: 020 - 52 30 948
WhatsApp during opening hours: 06 - 53 95 98 96
OBA Oosterdok is open on weekdays from 08:00 to 22:00. In the weekend the library is open from 10:00 to 22:00. The library is closed on New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Kingsday, Pentecost and Christmas Day.
How to reach OBA Oosterdok
By public transport
OBA Oosterdok can be reached by public transport using all metros, trams and buses that terminate at Amsterdam Central Station. The library is situated 500 metres east of the Central Station.
Located under Oosterdokseiland is the Oosterdok Parking Garage. It is open all week, 24 hours a day. The parking fees are equal to the parking fees in the centre of Amsterdam.
Routes to the parking garage:
- Coming from the ring road (A10) East
Take exit S114, at the end of the exit turn left to the Zuiderzeeweg. Follow the road through the Piet Heintunnel. At the end of the tunnel turn right onto the Piet Heinkade (S100). Turn right at the fourth traffic light (after passing the Mövenpick Hotel and the Muziekgebouw aan het IJ). Follow the road along the IJ and under the overpass. After passing under the train viaduct turn right. You will find the entrance to the Oosterdok Parking Garage on your left-hand side.
- Coming from the ring road (A10) West
Take exit S101. Follow the S101 along the Nieuwe Hemweg; Spaarndammerdijk; Tasmanstraat. Cross the bridge and follow the S100 to Amsterdam Central Station (CS). After passing the station, turn left at the first traffic light. Follow the road along the IJ and under the overpass. After passing under the train viaduct turn right. You will find the entrance to the Oosterdok Parking Garage on your left-hand side.
- Coming from the City Centre
Coming from the Dam Square in the direction of Amsterdam Central Station (CS), turn right at the end of the Damrak. After passing under the train viaduct turn right and then left at the first traffic light. You will find the entrance to the Oosterdok Parking Garage on your left-hand side.
Other parking garages in the area are:
- Parking Central Amsterdam: Prins Hendrikkade 20a (opposite to Lovers Canal Boats)
- Parking Waterlooplein: Valkenburgerstraat 238, under Albert Heijn; route from A10: follow signs to S100, turn-off to Centrum, follow parking signs (P-signs)
- Markenhoven: Anne Frankstraat; route from A10: follow signs to S100, turn-off to Centrum, follow parking signs (P-signs)
- Passengers Terminal Amsterdam: Oostelijke Handelskade 1; route from A10: Ring A10 Noord, off-ramp at S114, follow signs to Centrum, at S100 take a right in the direction of Amsterdam Central Station (CS), follow parking signs (P-signs) to Passengers Terminal Amsterdam (PTA).
- Limited parking available on De Ruyterkade.
- From Amsterdam Central Station: take the exit to the centre, turn left in an easterly direction. Follow the signs to Oosterdok, walk past the Double Tree Hotel and continue along the boulevard until you reach the OBA Oosterdok.
- From the eastern part of the City Centre / Waterlooplein: follow the Valkenburgerstraat, continue along the NEMO pier and cross the Van der Velde bridge (next to NEMO).
- From the IJ (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam / De Ruyterkade / ferry boats): pass the Eastern Passage (Oostbuis) of the East Entrance (Oostertoegang) at Amsterdam Central Station (CS) in the direction of the City Centre, turn left and continue along the boulevard until you reach the OBA Oosterdok
See: 'On foot' above.
Just past the library you will find the entrance of the underground bicycle parking garage where you can park your bicycle securely and free of charge.